- User licenses assigned to Teams meeting devices will no longer be supported after July 1, 2023. It is essential to replace them with Teams Rooms Basic or Teams Rooms Pro licenses to avoid disruptions.
- Microsoft Teams Shared Devices licenses are not compatible with Teams Rooms devices. Only Teams Rooms Basic or Teams Rooms Pro licenses should be assigned to these devices.
- Teams Rooms Basic license provides essential meeting features, while Teams Rooms Pro license offers advanced collaboration capabilities, dual screen support, whiteboard integration, and proactive management tools. Choose the license that best suits your organization’s needs.
Read more about transitioning User Licenses to Basic or Pro below.
Microsoft Teams User Licenses No Longer Compatible With Teams Rooms
Microsoft Teams has become a go-to platform for virtual meetings and collaboration. To ensure a seamless experience for users, Microsoft has recently announced some important changes regarding user licenses for meeting devices. Starting July 1, 2023, user licenses assigned to Teams meeting devices will no longer be supported, and it is crucial to replace them with Teams Rooms Basic or Teams Rooms Pro licenses to avoid any disruptions.
User Licenses and Transition to Teams Rooms Licenses: If you currently have user licenses assigned to your Teams meeting devices, it is essential to replace them with the appropriate Teams Rooms licenses before the deadline. Failure to do so will result in those devices being blocked from signing in. Microsoft Teams Shared Devices licenses are not compatible with Teams Rooms devices, emphasizing the need for Teams Rooms Basic or Teams Rooms Pro licenses exclusively.
Understanding Teams Rooms Basic License: Teams Rooms Basic license is designed to provide the essential features for organizations utilizing Teams Rooms devices. With a Teams Rooms Basic license, you can enjoy the following functionalities:
- Joining and scheduling meetings: Users can effortlessly join scheduled meetings, view shared content, and participate in collaboration sessions.
- Meeting controls: Basic license users have access to essential meeting controls, including mute/unmute, video on/off, and screen sharing.
- Proximity detection: Teams Rooms Basic enables proximity detection, allowing users to connect and control the meeting experience using their personal devices.
Exploring Teams Rooms Pro License: For organizations seeking advanced collaboration capabilities and enhanced management options, Teams Rooms Pro license is the recommended choice. Teams Rooms Pro offers all the features available with Teams Rooms Basic, along with additional benefits:
- Dual screen support: With Teams Rooms Pro, users can make the most of dual screen setups, displaying content on one screen while having the video gallery on another.
- Whiteboard integration: Teams Rooms Pro enables seamless integration with Microsoft Whiteboard, fostering interactive and collaborative brainstorming sessions.
- Proactive management and analytics: Organizations can leverage advanced management tools and analytics to monitor and optimize their meeting room environments effectively.
Conclusion: Transitioning from user licenses to Teams Rooms Basic or Teams Rooms Pro licenses is crucial to ensure uninterrupted access and enhanced collaboration capabilities for your Teams meeting devices. Microsoft’s decision to discontinue support for user licenses on meeting devices underscores the importance of aligning your licensing model with the recommended options.
By familiarizing yourself with the features offered by Teams Rooms Basic and Teams Rooms Pro licenses, you can make an informed decision based on your organization’s requirements and budget. To learn more about the specifics of these licenses, refer to the official Microsoft Teams Rooms licensing documentation for a comprehensive understanding of their features and benefits.